The answers for last weeks maths (scales and measuring) and the test booklets have been added to the Week 2 Teams folder for you to check your answers.
Language:
Spellings - Thanks for those who have been playing J2Spell to practice their spellings. This week I would like you to get back to practising your spelling lists. All of the spelling lists are in the file on Teams. For this week if you have a practice of the words you have already completed on your list (hopefully most people have their copy of their home learning list to know what words they were on) and learn your new words. Then like we would do in class have a little practice of your words during the week before testing yourself on a Monday - I have put a suggestion of time in the timetable below.
Those on your own words choose 10 new words using a dictionary and write the meanings of any unusual words or words you hadn't heard of before (as well as learning the spelling).
Comprehension and Reading:
Continue to work through the digital books on the Oxford reading tree and answer the comprehension questions after you have read the book. If you are reading your own material, great can you just make a note of the book on your reading record and how you are progressing.
Test - I have added a new test for you to complete during the week - this week it's all about gold. All the reading material is in one booklet entitled 'Golden Dreams.' The answer booklet will tell you which part of the booklet you should be reading to find the answers. It should take around an hour - 15 - minutes reading time and then minutes on the questions but, as last week take as long as you need. You can write the answers in your Learning Logs. I will share the answers next week.
Writing:
This week I would like everybody to watch a film that is available on BBCiPlayer so everyone will be able to access it regardless of what other streaming services you have.
The film is called - Swallows and Amazons:
Swallows and Amazons is a 1974 adaptation of the beloved Arthur Ransome novel of the same name, about a group of British children embarking on a daring adventure whilst on the summer holiday of a lifetime in the Lake District.
Since first being published in 1930, the novel has found its way onto the bookshelves of countless children around the world, occupying a space next to the likes of C.S. Lewis, Enid Blyton and Edith Nesbit. It also appears on legendary Studio Ghibli director Hayao Miyasaki's list of 50 Recommended Children's Books.
Does anybody have a copy of the book at home?
The story - inspired by the author's own experiences teaching children to sail on the Lakes - perhaps sounds a little old-fashioned to our generation for whom the word 'streams' may conjure up thoughts of watching television rather than countryside and flowing waterways.
Although an old film it has lots of themeshe themes of self-discovery, adventure and exploration - as well as celebrating the joy of the great outdoors - offering a perfect antidote to our increasingly digital lives.
I would like you to write a review of the film (I will be adding some more resources to help you fine tune your review writing skills - with instructions) I will add these to the folder this afternoon.
MATHS: The activity questions this week are on Negative numbers. Have a go at A and B and try the two questions on C if you would like to. There are 3 more tests to spread out throughout the week again. You don't need to do them in the time that it specifies on the test but try and solve the questions on your own. Like last week there is one arithmatic test and 2 reasoning papers to have a try at.
Mark your work from last week and if you wish to review any questions or would like some help understanding something then ask on the TEAMs chat page.
Sharing work: Thank you for those who are sharing work with me and who have made the effort to share with me using the Office 365 application. What I need us all to try and do from now on is to upload / save all of our work into our J2E folders.
The advantage of this is that you do not need to share the work directly with me. As I am an administrator I can just click on your folders to view your work. It will also make marking easier as we will be able to use the learning conversation tool on our documents to self / peer assess our work in our new learning groups.
If any one is having difficulty uploading to J2E / using J2Office appliaction speak to the members of your new team for help and if they cannot help you send me a message so that I can help you.
Timetable - With reference to last weeks message I would like to offer an example timetable that we have made as a staff that may help you to manage your home learning. As Mrs Harries mentions in her message below if you have already set a timetable and have got routines that are working for you please stick to that but if you have been having difficulty finding a routine or getting tasks done maybe the timetable could help you think about allocating your time
Quiz Friday: I would like to hold a quiz on Friday afternoon. I will invite you all to take part on TEAMs and
Topic ideas: If you haven't added your ideas to the topic ideas document (shared with you on Office 365) check your email for the link to the document and we will try to put the activities together this week.
Welsh: this week I would like you to make your own PPT / Sway presentation about yourself as an activity before you do the writing about yourself. Use the Jim and Sam PPTs uploaded in Teams to give ideas about how to prepare your own - you could perhaps add actual photographs of yourself to your presentation. I will add some language patterns this week to help you.
Science challenge: If would like to try a science challenge this week try challenge 17 'Scared Pepper' - some have you may have seen something similar demonstrated on social media about why washing our hands is important - have a go at this one it looks like good fun!
Letter from Mrs Harries - Please read the letter below from Mrs Harries
Diolch everyone,
Mr Ball
