Search This Blog

Wednesday, 22 April 2020

New Home Learning Groups

Bore da pawb,

HOME LEARNING GROUPS SUMMER 2020

Here are the new home learning groups that you will be using to work with peers for the next few weeks. I have also put the list in our Summer 2020 file on Teams

The purpose of the groups will be to work collaboratively with each other on specific tasks and for certain tasks these will be the people who will peer assess your work - before I mark it.

Your aim is to peer assess two other children's work each week. Most groups are groups of 3 so - just comment on the other two children's work. To be fair on the groups of 4 you only have to comment on two other children's work not all 3 but you should share your work with everyone in the group, including me.

The people in your groups should also be your first port of call if you need support or to ask each other questions. Of course you can still use our Teams chat page as people have been doing very effectively but remember you may not get an instant answer if people aren't online. If you can't get the help you need from a peer then direct your question at me. When typing the messages in teams if you put @ - before the name it will recognise the persons HWB account to give them notification a message has been directed to them.

Marking work: As I have posted on a few occasions it it important that your work is saved in your J2E files. It is absolutely fine for you to use the applications on the Office365 part of your HWB account but I need your work to be saved into your J2E folder - not shared with me on Office365

I have posted instructions on how to add work to J2E files from different devices but if you still need help let me know.

This way it will be much easier for us to manage the work and also peer / teacher assess the work - using the learning conversation tabs.

Saving work
Please save your work correctly. There are still a lot of unamed documents in folders. If you just press save or click off it will just be called document 1,2 etc. Please name the document and add your initials - for example my film review this week.

Please complete the weekly tasks
Remember that you need to make an effort to complete the weekly tasks set. As I mentioned before we are realistic and know that there is no way we will be able to sustain a mirror of the amount of time we would spend in class but you still need to be carrying out work each day.

But it is important for the rest of your group that you complete the work so that you can share and comment on work together. If only one member of your team is completing the work then it won't work.

If there is any reason why you have been unable to complete tasks for example family illness or that you have had trouble getting access to a device to complete your work (e.g. maybe if parents / siblings need them for their work as well) please drop me an email to explain your difficulties.

I fully understand the challenges of working at home particularly if you have a busy household and have to share rooms / devices to work with but remember you are also trying to prepare yourselves for next year when you will start to become really independent in your new schools so you may need to think about when is the best time for you to complete tasks.

We will be drafting an example timetable this week to try and help you balance your time - look out for this next week and try to plan what are the best times for you to be able to complete

New work:

Science challenge: The science experiment I would like you to complete this week is challenge 13 on page 27 of the James Dyson booklet (I have now moved the booklet to our Summer 2020 folder). You will need to use your microwave and have some chocolate (hopefully you have some left from Easter!!)

Welsh activities - I will be uploading these this afternoon to our Team folder.

Diolch everybody, I have a few staff meetings this morning so I will pop into the Teams chat this afternoon.

Mr Ball