Shwmae everybody,
I hope everyone is doing well and managed to have some fun at home over the Easter weekend. Here are some notes about this week and I hope everyone managed to have a break from work but if anyone had a go at tying to build the marble run or the cardboard chair can you share this with me on J2E.
Science experiment write up: I would like you to do a brief write up about your cardboard boat design. Did it work well? What items did you weigh to use as cargo? How much weight did it support before it sank? What improvements adjustments do you think you could make to your boat to allow it to carry more weight?
Balanced argument - not many people have commented on each others work so we need to make sure that that gets done this week, so make sure that you have shared your work with me and the peers in your groups.
Our topic for the Summer. The theme for the term is entitled 'Calon Lan' and is linked to the new curriculum areas 'Expressive Arts' and 'Health and well being.' I am going to share a word document with the class this week for you to write down ideas that you think you would like to do - try to think of things that will work with us being at home at the moment.
We would normally perform an end of year Year 6 production, which may still be possible if we can return to school later this term. However if we are told that we will not be back or return with enough time to plan a performance we can perhaps think of a way that we could do a performance of some kind by recording in our own homes - I have some ideas already but you can have think yourselves as well.
As we were doing before Easter I will continue to upload some mathematics and language activities for you to complete on a weekly basis, along with some science and Welsh.
Language:
Over the next few weeks I am going to set you a weekly comprehension test / task. Where I will provide some reading material and some questions you need to answer on that material. Similar to the maths work we did before Easter I will then provide the answers the following week for you to see how you did on the test. You can print the answer booklets out if you wish but just writing your answers in your Learning Logs will be sufficient.
We will also start a new writing genre. I think a good genre for us to do whilst at home will be review writing - in particular reviewing films or television programmes that you have watched. I would like you to learn the skills of writing film reviews and build up to writing some reviews of things you have watched. Tomorrow I will be uploading some resources to the TEAMs folder to get you started this week
Mathematics:
Similarly to language over the next few weeks I am going to set you an assessment test to do which you must complete independently in test conditions. You can take as long as you need but answer questions without help and those you couldn't do or got incorrect we will go through together or you can ask a peer for support on the Teams chat (after you have marked yourself or with a parent).
The work for this week will be on Measuring and using scales - I will be uploading 3 booklets tomorrow - A,B and C and you must work through A and B and can attempt booklet C if you want - these questions will be more challenging.
During the week I will also give information about which Welsh and science activities I would like you to complete.
I will be on our TEAMS chat page tomorrow morning from 10am (so that people can do their Joe Wicks if they wish) so we can catch up about what you have been doing in lockdown during Easter.
Look forward to catching up with you tomorrow,
Mr Ball