here is maths homework for the week. It is an introduction to long division but as dividing by two digits is a new concept I would like the children to use the following method to solve the sums. We will go over the method in class as well but here is a break down for you to see how the method works.
I want to divide 588 by 14. I don't know my 14 times table so I am going to write it down to help me solve the sum. Before I write the sum I write down 10 x 14 and 5 x 14 to use as markers before I write up the whole table as I can do this easily.
The reason for this is you might make a mistake when counting in 14s so you can use these two amounts to help you check the first 4 multiples and multiples from 6 - 9 x 14 are correct:
Now I have written my markers I can fill in the missing 8 multiples up to 10 x 14. I've checked that the numbers before and after 70 are both 14 away and that 126 is 14 less than 140 so all my multiples seem correct. I've also noticed a pattern that the units seem to repeat:
Now I'm going to solve the division in the same way that we have been doing in class using the 14 times table to help me. I know 14 will not fit into 5 so I can either rewrite the 5 next to the 8 to show that I'm thiking of 58 or just underline 58. Using my 14 times table I see that 14 goes into 58 four times (4 x 14 = 56) and I will have a remainder of 2 left over - which I will put next to the remaining 8:
There is just one more number to check and that is 28 which using my 14xtable I can see that it goes in twice, therefore my answer is 42: 588 ÷ 14 = 42.
If you want to double check your answer when you finish you could use some of the techniques we have been using in 'It's Nothing New' by making your 14 times table 10 times bigger - this proves that 14 x 42 = 588:
Can you return the Learning Logs to class on Tuesday 17th November.
Diolch,
Mr B


