Search This Blog

Monday, 30 March 2020

Wythnos: 30/03/2020


Shwmae,

Thank you for those who have shared work with me this week and those who have successfully added work to their J2E files.

Could you please upload our work to J2E from no on instead of emailing me via your HWB email address?

It is very easy to upload a document from a PC or Mac you can just drag and drop it. Tablets are a little more difficult, but I have shared a video tutorial to help you. A quick way would be to just copy and paste your document into J2Offices Word App and it will then save into your documents.
Naming work – another reminder again in case anyone missed the post last week – please save your work – put either your first name or your initials and the name of the work.

Thank you also to all those pupils who have been helping each other with work or how to navigate things on J2E, there’s been some great online support for your peers.

If you need any help on the above post in the Teams chat page as somebody in class is likely to be able to help you before I may see it.

Tasks for this week

Mark last week’s maths booklets – use the answer booklets to check your answers from last week. Remember to follow the numbers of the questions on the booklets I gave as I removed some questions, but the answers are still in the booklet in numerical order.
If you got any questions incorrect and would like to go over them post on our Teams thread to see if somebody is able to show you. Or you could try asking a parent but if no-one is able to help you then I will go over the problem for you.

Peer assess your balanced arguments – I would like you to share your balanced argument (on J2E – so it must be in your J2E files to begin with) with your debating group and read eachothers arguments. I would like you to comment on everyone else’s argument in your team. After you have read the argument I would like you to use the comments box (the little speech bubble) to begin a learning conversation to say what you think they did well and what they could improve ( 1 x WWW and 1 x EBI) . Use the balanced argument resources to say what you think they did well eg did they use a good range of balanced argument openers and connectives, did they demonstrate the opposing point of view?

You will need to share your work with the people in your debate group. Everyone’s J2E name is their first name and first letter surname together e.g. SaffirS or RobertM. Apart from Regan, Tom, Isaac and Lewis R who all have a number 1 after their name e.g. LewisR1
You should have all already shared your balanced arguments with me on J2E which will mean that I can read your leaning conversations as well.

Reading – Well done those who have logged in to Oxford reading Tree and read a book and answered the quiz. There are still a lot of children who have not logged on at all so can you please ensure that you try to read a book tomorrow morning if you haven’t yet and answer the quiz questions so that I can monitor who has read on the system. You will have the time to read a few books per week and remember I said to have a look back to stages 17 and 18 as there is some material in there that you will find interesting.

Own reading – It is fine for you to read your own material, if you are reading your own novels or non-fiction material but can you add details of what you have been reading to your reading record.  E.g. I have read 4 chapters of Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire and comment on your progress.
If you need another reading record or would like to see an example of one please ask on Teams and we can share one with you.

Welsh – re-read the Gwiliau Nici a Cris book as I will be asking you to answer some review questions about the book
Reading records can you add your reading record to your J2E files and share it with me in J2E so I can have all the reading records in the same place.

STEM project - It is time to complete our STEM project that we were going to do in our teams but now you will be completing it on your own! As we discussed in class you will be creating a boat out of cardboard.
Obviously, you need to source some cardboard but before you even begin try some different designs using paper – think about the outcome of our tin foil boat experiments in class.
Have a watch of this video to help you think about your design:


In our Teams folder I have placed a new STEM folder and added a booklet from the James Dyson Foundation. You need to open the booklet to page 61 – Engineering challenge 7. There are loads of other cool experiments in the book you may wish to try at home – I will be choosing a few more for you to complete whilst we are working at home which I will add to our weekly planning.

I am going to add a few extra rules. The boats can be up to but no longer than 50cm in length and no wider than 40cm. As long as your design in within those parameters you can use as much carboard as you wish and PVA glue and insulation / duct tape to help bond your joints.
Design – it is optional but those who wish to paint their boats can do so as well.
We will aim to test the boats on Friday of this week so set that as your goal.
I will let you know how you are going to test the boats and what you can use as weights later in the week. Ignore the 250g / bag of sugar on the challenge card / video you are going to go for more than that!!

Google AR animals – I’m sure lots of you have seen this already but if you type an animals name into Google (use Google Chrome on an iPhone or Android) and then press ‘View in 3D’. It brings up your camera and then 30 seconds later you have a tiger in your house!
I have made a new folder in J2E called Google AR animal pictures and shared it with you. I have taken a photo of myself with a tiger but lets see who can come up with some even more interesting and original photos with the different animals. Upload them to the folder when you have taken them. Animals you can find are a:

Lion
Tiger
Cheetah
Shark
Hedgehog
Duck
Emperor penguin
Wolf
Angler fish
Goat
Rottweiler
Snakes
Eagle
Brown bear
Alligator
Horse
Shetland pony
Macaw
Pug
Turtle
Cat
Octopus
Dog
Golden Retriever

Health and Wellbeing Blog: As I mentioned earlier in the week I have created a new Blog on J2Bloggy -below id the link. Have a look at the challenge and try and upload some pictures / content about what you have been doing to stay healthy:

New work – I am going to upload some new literacy and mathematics work later this morning and will send a notification text when it is live with an additional blog to explain what resources have uploaded. Try to get your maths booklets marked and peer assess your friends writing if you can.

Diolch,

Mr Ball