Pryn hawn da all - lots of exciting things in store for this week!
Homework: I hope everyone has managed to access the PDF of the maths
questions on volume on the One drive that was shared last week - if anyone is
having any difficulty then let me know. I would like the answers to be recorded
in the learning logs. You may print off the sheet if it helps or try to be
eco-friendly by displaying the questions on your computer / laptop or tablet.
I've said to the children that they can
have until the end of next week (Friday 4th March) to return the maths work as
lots of them did extra homework towards their BBC 500-word story competition
entries and the majority of the class have something that they will be
performing in Tuesday's Eisteddfod. If you haven't had chance to read your
child's 500-word story, ask them to show you (they're saved on their OneDrive
accounts) The standard of the children's stories was incredibly high I really
enjoyed reading them. We submitted them to the BBC website on Thursday so,
fingers crossed, some are in with a chance of progressing to the next round of judging.
Their stories are also going to be used for the creative story writing
competition in the Eisteddfod - so it's going to be a tough job to pick a top
three out of all the stories!
I will set a comprehension task for
literacy homework during the week (I will be setting a lot of comprehension
based tasks for literacy homework in the build up to our end of year
assessments) giving the children the chance to refine their skills in
deciphering information from different texts and enhancing their inference and
deduction of unfamiliar texts.
Eisteddfod competitions: Don't forget the house song, poem and
words for Calon Lan are in a folder that I shared with you on OneDrive, if you
want to practice before Tuesday.
Spellings: We didn't get time to complete the spell
check on Friday so we will do last weeks words tomorrow (silent letters) and I
have attached new words for Friday 4th March below.
Parents evening appointments: I have already had a lot of interest in Tuesday 22nd of
March and there are no appointments available between 3.30pm and 4.30pm. There
are still some appointments available between 5 and 7pm but on a first come
first served basis for preference. Alternatively, I have only had one slip back
for Wednesday 23rd March so every window is still available if you are able to
attend on the Wednesday.
Plan for the week:
Dydd Llun: Spelling check (last Fridays words)
Eisteddfod competition preparation
No PE session today
After school golf club
Ski meeting in Y6 at 4.30pm
Dydd Mawrth: Dydd Gwyl Dewi - children are to come to school dressed
in their
Dydd Mercher: Bryn Cylennog will be sending in a member
of their literacy department and leading a Reading Keys session, which will be
really useful for us as it's all about the use of effective reading strategies.
New literacy homework task set.
Book day sponsorship money to be returned
today.
Dydd Iau: World book day: We would like the children to dress up as
characters from David Walliams or Julia Donaldson books but if you can't source
a suitable costume for these they can come as any character from a book.
We will do a special PE session linked to
world book day (they can do the session in their costumes)
After school football club.
Dydd Gwener: Mr Wagner will lead the first maths session, I will lead
Big Maths CLIC and introduce a new strand in Badger maths problem solving.
Spell check (see words below)
Spell check words for Friday 4th March:
Over the next two weeks we will be
focussing on words that have the vowel blend ie and ei and recognising the
correct blend for particular types of words.
neither
believe
ceiling
protein
received
relieved
perceived
shrieking
deceived
achievement
Bonus words:
besieged
mischievous
conceitedness