I would like you to beginning researching for a presentation that the children will be doing towards the end of June. I will set out a timetable after half term so that you know when your day to present is.
As I mentioned on Sunday the theme will be linked to out topic of Together Stronger. Our chosen decade to look at is going to be the 1970s. Therefore I would like the children to talk about the history of their family in the 1970s. None of us would be here today if wasn't for our families so it's an important theme for us to recognise in being 'Together Stronger.'
Here are some questions that will help you with your initial research:
Who was alive in your family in the 1970s? - If your parents were born in the 80s or 90s you will need to speaker to older members of your family - grandparents / aunties uncles.
What was your family doing in the 1970s? - Where did they live? What jobs did people have? Did they have cars, if so what cars were they driving?
Perhaps you might be able to learn some things about some family members who have passed away before you were born, what were they like?
Can anybody remember any exciting inventions that came out in the 1970s that they got excited about. Maybe it was a new TV that the family had or another electrical device?
Over the last 10 years people have got excited about getting Android / iPhones / tablets or iPads. Maybe think of other toys - they wouldn't have had computer games consoles like an X-Box - so what did the children get excited about in the 1970s?
What holidays did people enjoy? Did they go away on an aeroplane or have more holidays in Britain?
Are there any special / interesting stories that happened in the 1970s? Maybe meeting a famous person or perhaps just a special / funny story that is treasured by the family.
Visual aids to support your presentation - I would like to avoid using technology as a visual prompt so please don't prepare a PowerPoint. You can word process your notes to help you deliver the presentation but I would like the visual aid you bring with you to be prepared by hand on either an A3 or an A2 piece of paper. Try to include lots of photographs to help illustrate your presentation if you can source them from your relatives.
I am not expecting completed presentation during the first week back, just start having dialogue with your family members to begin building a picture of the family in the 1970s so you can think about what you would like to talk about.
I was thinking of allowing the children between 3 and 5 minutes to present and then let children answer questions afterwards.
I appreciate that some families are going away for half term on holiday and won't be able to start gathering research.
We will have a discussion after half term about the project and if anyone has any questions or areas that they think will be important to share then they can discuss them with the class.