National Testing and Revision
As promised in parents evening, I have sent home a selection of revision sheets for those pupils whose parents asked. I have one last set to do tomorrow and all will have been sent home. If there are any other parents who feel that extra English or Maths activities would benefit their child please do not hesitate to ask me and I will happily put something together.
As you know the national tests are just around the corner. We started revising certain areas in maths this week and will be looking fractions and percentages tomorrow and Friday in readiness for the tests. I am unable to send past papers home however, will be looking through a range of questions and test techniques within class. Additionally I have attached a link to the Learning Wales site where you can find sample papers and activities that you may find useful.
Maths Sample Paper: http://learning.wales.gov.uk/resources/browse-all/numeracy-sample-materials/?lang=en
Reading Sample Paper: http://learning.wales.gov.uk/resources/browse-all/reading-sample-materials/?lang=en
The children are getting very good with their times tables and we are now even working backwards through the tables and skipping odds and evens - they are wowing me with their enthusiasm and determination to know them inside out and upside down! I want to thank you for the hard work and effort being done at home too. I am seeing an increased confidence when multiplying in class and this is great to see!
I challenged the children to better their Big Maths Beat That scores over the holidays and some have amazed me with the jump in scores from day 1 to day 8. Well Done to all those who took up the challenge! I have asked that they continue doing this and will upload a new Beat That! tomorrow which I am asking the children do for the next week daily. It is only 100 seconds of their time each day and I am sure this will help them with their tests as it will improve their mental maths and the speed at which they answer a sum.
There are some great websites that the children may enjoy practising their mental maths. Take a look at the selection below:
- www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths
- www.mathplayground.com/quick_calculate.html
- mathszone.co.uk/calculating/mental-addition
- http://www.compare4kids.co.uk/mental-maths.php
- http://mathsframe.co.uk/
- http://www.ictgames.com/resources.html
I hope you find the above useful. Don't forget if you have any questions or would like any suggested activities for home just let me know. My door is always open!
Mrs Rees ;o)